Brentwood & District Photographic Club, BDPC, Photographic Club, EAF, Brentwood Camera Club, Essex Camera Club
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BDPC
ESTABLISHED OVER 60 YEARS AGO
Although a Photographic Club was formed in Brentwood in 1946 just after the 2nd World War, it only lasted just over a year but was reformed in 1952 by Tom Hyde.
It first met at the Lindrum Studios shop on the 1st floor in the Ongar Road with a membership of no more than 10.
As the membership grew the Club moved to larger premises, the first being the "Church House" in Coptfold Road, then within a year, it moved to a reception room at the "Castle" public house also in the Ongar Road, and then within a year of that, it moved to the "Toc H Hut" in Moores Place off of the High Street and membership continued to increase.
The "Toc H Hut" site was purchased for redevelopment and the club had to move again, this time to the Friends Meeting House in Shenfield, where it has been resident for over 30 years.
Current membership is approximately 50.
We cater for all ages and abilities and meet every Friday from 8 pm to 10 pm with over 45 meetings a year.
In the early years, the Club's patron was Brigadier Gilbertson-Smith, one of Brentwood's well known citizens, whose generosity put the Club on a sound footing.
As in the past, the Club bases it's activities around lectures by visitors and Club members and competitions.
The Print and Projected Image competitions are generally appraised by Judges recognized by the "East Anglian Federation of Photographic Societies", to which the Club belongs.